1. Percutaneous Cancellous Bone Harvesting Procedure Kit
This convenience kit includes an 8 gauge bone marrow biopsy needle used for percutaneous trephine extraction of autogenous bone marrow/cancellous bone dowels. Trephine extraction of cancellous bone is considered minimally invasive technique compared to open methods of bone extraction and has been documented to have less donor site morbidity than open procedures.1,2,3. Autograft bone is consider as the “gold standard” clinical material for grafting. 4,5 Harvesting intact cancellous bone cores without disrupting the highly-organized living tissue is superior to transplanting pieces of bone. Intact grafts maintain the micro-vascular network within the graft, promoting bone callus formation/remodeling and do not exhibit extensive resorption. 6,7
Intact bone exploits the biology of normal fracture healing rather than through slow creeping substitution associated with the slow incorporation of a non-vascularized graft. 6 Research demonstrates the enhanced survival of a bone graft as long as its primary blood supply is preserved. A living bone graft will shorten the time for bony union because
the reconstructed bone is comparable to a bone with a double fracture. 6,7
- https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD011783/full accessed on 13 Nov 2018.
- Missiuna PC, Gandhi HS, Farrokhyar F, Harnett BE, Dore EM, Roberts B. Anatomically safe and minimally invasive transcrestal technique for procurement of autogenous cancellous bone graft from the mid-iliac crest. Can J Surg. 2011;54(5):327-32.
- Hernigou P, Descroches A, Quennec S, Flousat Lachaniette CH, Poignard A, Allain J, Chevallier N, Rouard H. Morbidity of graft harvesting versus bone marrow aspiration in cell regenerative therapy. Int Orthop. 2014 Sep;38(9):1855-60
- Block JE. The role and effectiveness of bone marrow in osseous regeneration. Med Hypotheses. 2005;65(4):740-7.
- Wang W, Yeung K. Bone grafts and biomaterials substitutes for bone defect repair. A review. Bioactive Materials. 2017;2(4):224-227.
- Bleuming SA, He XC, Kodach LL, Hardwick JC, Koopman FA, Ten Kate FJ, van Deventer SJ, Hommes DW, Peppelenbosch MP, Offerhaus GJ, Li L, van den Brink GR (Sep 2007). “Bone morphogenetic protein signaling suppresses tumorigenesis at gastric epithelial transition zones in mice”. Cancer Research. 67 (17): 8149–55.
- Ostrup et al Distant transfer of a free, living bone graft by micro-vascular anastomoses. An experimental study. Plast Reconstr. Surg. 1974 Sep; 54(3): 274-85
2. The advantages
Graft material with osteoconductive, osteoinductive & osteogenic properties.
Minimally invasive technique – using a 8 Gauge Trephine Needle for bone core extraction.
Graft material may be combined with autologous, allogenic, xenogenic or synthetic bone chips hydrated with high cellular marrow aspirate.
Reduces donor site morbidity associated with standard harvesting techniques..
Marrow Cellution Cancellous Bone Graft Harvesting
Marrow Cellution product information
For more information on Marrow Cellution, please download the Marrow Cellution brochure below.